Ultimately the question of are you getting a flu vaccination (shot) is a personal decision. The flu shot is usually highly recommended by your doctor if you are at high risk for complications if you get the flu. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests that almost everyone 6 months and older should get an annual flu vaccination.
The CDC does state reasons why you should check with your doctor before getting a flu shot:
People who should talk to their doctor before getting the flu shot:
- If you have an allergy to eggs or any of the ingredients in the vaccine. Talk to your doctor about your allergy.
- If you ever had Guillain-Barré Syndrome (a severe paralyzing illness, also called GBS). Some people with a history of GBS should not get this vaccine. Talk to your doctor about your GBS history.
- If you are not feeling well. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms.
Here are some suggestions to prevent getting the flu and to help get less colds and other seasonal illnesses.
- Wash wash wash those hands. We all know about germs but we have to make it a habit of reminding ourselves to wash our hands frequently to cut down on the nasties.
- Eat good food. Junk in and get junk (sick) out – as the saying goes. Antioxidants like vitamin C can help provide added defenses when your body is under attack from a virus.
- Get sleep. When your body is under stress from not sleeping well or not sleeping enough, your defenses go down which means your risk goes up for getting sick
- Remember your natural options for building your immune system: immune building vitamins for daily use, probiotics, echinacea is an herbal supplement you can take when you are exposed to an illness or at the very first sign of feeling sick (or even tired because fatigue can be the first sign of illness), and there are immune building supplements that you can take every day (see below for details on each).
Immune Help from our favorite Shaklee – the brand with the science, quality ingredients, and delivery systems so that your body can absorb and use the nutrients – guaranteed! The brand my family has used for over 30 years.
Vitamin C – an antioxidant used by many people as immune support or when they are under physical stress.
Vitamin D – the focus of a lot of research on healthy immune system function. “Vitamin D plays a role in improving mucous membrane barrier functioning, the production of antimicrobial peptides (small proteins), and overall immune support” (source: Shaklee).
Probiotics – everyday support for your digestive track where 80% of your immune system resides.
Echinacea – with larch and elderberry, all traditionally used to support the immune system when exposed to illness
Nutriferon – a combination of plant extracts that naturally boost the body’s own production of interferon, part of your immune system that helps fight off viruses.
Vitalized Immunity – Shaklee’s newest immune supplement with 19 vitamins, minerals, and herbs that comes in a tablet you dissolve in water – a great option for everyone, including those who have trouble swallowing tablets.